Saturday, July 09, 2016

tcpdump (online runnable) tutorial under MyBinder/Jupyter

Preparing for my "Jupyter-for-Everything-Else" presentation at EuroPython in Bilbao I wanted to go a step further with the idea of doing tutorials (live command-line tutorials !) on http://mybinder.org.

You can cut to the chase and run the current tutorials by going to the INDEX PAGE at this link.
There are some instructions on how to use the notebooks there.

NOTE: This will launch a new jupyter server on mybinder.org any time you press on this link.  If left unattended the notebook server will be culled and your work lost.  You can save your work using the "File -> Download as -> Notebook (.ipynb)" menu item.

Following on from my previous post "The Art of the Command Line - ls (seen from Jupyter ... seen from MyBinder)" I've finally added another tutorial.  Shame on me, that repo was sitting there with a wondrous "ls tutorial" example ... not exactly the most technical tutorial.
But it's been tough finding time with 2 house warmings, family visiting, Tango Argentin 4 nights in a row and other excuses (thankfully watching "the foot" Euro 2016 is not one of my vices).


So today I investigated adding tcpdump into the same MyBinder image.  Quite easy once I realized I needed to add an "apt-get update" at the beginning of my Dockerfile so that tcpdump was visible in the repos.  I then added a few "apt-get install -y" into the Dockerfile so that the generated image has tcpdump and other networking tools already installed.


I also installed rakudo so that I can demonstrate Perl6 1-liners at EuroPython ... prepare your tomatoes folks!


I've now added an INDEX page into the image (a notebook of course) with links into the currently running server - clicking on the link below to the INDEX page will start a new server.

Follow the link at the start of this article to launch your own server using my 'mjbright/binder_jupyter_notebook' image.

NOTE: The sources for this image are available on github are available here https://github.com/mjbright/binder_jupyter_notebook


Pull requests for the Dockerfile or with new example notebooks are welcome !
At the moment Bash, Python2 and Python3 kernels are included in the image.

You can run the actual notebook tutorial here
http://mybinder.org/repo/mjbright/binder_jupyter_notebook/Tutorial_ls.ipynb







No comments:

[Conference - CodeEurope.pl] Developing Micro-services on Kubernetes

In April I had the chance to present at CodeEurope.pl , first in Warsaw on Apr 24th, and then in Wroclaw ("wroslof" was my best at...